On March 17, several hours before our wedding ceremony, our good friend Chris Noles pulled me to the side and played a song for me. It was a song written by Brad and a few of our friends in the weeks before our wedding. It was a song about my dad. I was instantly a mess...and I don't mean a pretty mess, either. The precious song told our father-daughter story perfectly...the struggle to both hold on and let go. It was the best wedding gift ever. A few hours later I walked down the aisle toward a man that my dad would have been incredibly proud to call his son-in-law. He made sure my daddy was celebrated and remembered on one of the most important days of our lives. The band who helped Brad write the song played that song at our reception. It was beautiful. What a bittersweet day, to be sure, but the joy far outweighed the tears and at the end of the day, I was married to my best friend.
Those of you who know our story, know that mine and Brad's was not always an easy road. It was a long road in the early years, one frustrated with twists and turns and lengthy detours. Ours is a rich history of heartache and forgiveness and renewal. It's far better than any romantic comedy I've ever seen and here we are...married...finally! Marrying Brad is one of the best things I have ever done. I am proud to be his wife. We make each other better. I love going to sleep next to him every night and waking up beside him each morning. I love making his breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. I love the way he makes me laugh when I am in a grumpy mood. I love the way he always tells me where he is and what he's doing because he knows I care about these things. I love the way he says he'll only be at the studio for a few hours and I know that really means he'll be there until 11:00pm or midnight. I love that he is honest with me, even when the honesty is hard to hear. I love that he trusts me with his heart. I love our life. Completely.
There are, of course, ups and downs. There are times we disagree about how to approach something, times we get on each others' nerves, and times we are just insensitive to the other, but love is so much deeper than that. At our reception, we danced to "Love is a Verb" by John Mayer. It's so true. Love isn't only in the words we say, it's in the things we do to show others how much they mean to us. No one is perfect. Brad and I are both quite imperfect, actually. We will fail miserably at some points and we will be learning how to love one another for the rest of our lives, but we won't give up. We will learn when to let things go and when to push harder. It is my prayer that we will always fight...not with each other, but FOR each other. Brad has taught me the importance of that. He fought for me so many times when we were dating and I wanted to run because it would have been easier. He still fights for me. That is love...fighting for the other person, for the best in the other person, for all the memories, and all the hopes for the future. Love is not giving up, not giving in, not taking the easy way out...it's pushing through and fighting for a future together.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)


No comments:
Post a Comment