Last week, I went to work on a horse farm with Shannon. We also made a brief side trip to Callaway Gardens. Yes, voluntary manual labor outdoors in the heat of the day and five days of absolutely no make-up. It was glorious! Instead of writing all the details of my adventures, I decided to give my Top 10 Things I learned (or was reminded of) from working with horses and geocaching (at Callaway).
10. There is a reason people make comments about "peeing like a race horse". Horses leave a decent sized puddle in their wake. (Thanks, Shan)
9. There comes a time in every person's life where a situation calls for a bluff. Take charge, even when you feel you've lost control.
8. When you're feeling a little unsteady, keep your head up. It's easier to keep your balance.
7. We learn the most about ourselves when we are willing to get out of our comfort zones.
6. Two heads are definitely better than one. Everything is a little easier with a partner.
5. It's important to break up old ground (hurts and fears) so new growth can take its place (serving, helping, loving others).
4. It's important to know where you are, but it's also important to keep your eyes on where you want to go.
3. Laughter can make the most mundane activities a joy.
2. Trust God to use friends to guide you when you can't see your own path.
1. It's not about finishing, it's about finishing well. Keeping a positive attitude and a loving spirit is part of the challenge.
Oh...one more thing. We helped breed two of the horses. Wow. I don't even know how to put that experience into words. Good times on Arrowhead Farm!
Thanks to Greg and Sandy for opening your home to us and for giving me the experience of a lifetime. I can mark that off my bucket list! I will definitely be back to visit!
Green Acres -- Ropin' It Up version
Niiiiiiiice. ;)
ReplyDelete