I was once asked about my favorite childhood memory. I have two. One memory is of catching fireflies in a mason jar on a summer night in my Nana and Pa's backyard. The other memory is of a fuzzy brown couch at my Nannie and Papa's house in Florida. This couch was in their living room when I was growing up and, actually, it is still there today. To the average eye, it doesn't look like anything special. But to me, it encompasses some of the great moments of my childhood. My brother and I would sleep on this couch when we were visiting our grandparents as little kids. It was also the seating during the grandkids' countless games of charades, marvelously orchestrated by our mothers to keep us kids out of trouble. The couch was (and still is) extremely soft and smooth and before you knew it you were sliding between the cushions or they were sliding out from under you. Even today, we playfully fight over who gets to sit on the fuzzy brown couch. They just don't make 'em like that anymore! :)
Below is a picture of the couch piled high with all the grandkids (and wives). I still love that couch for all the memories it holds and for the ones that are still being made...

No comments:
Post a Comment